and now a message from the peanut gallery… or Katie
Jon is far better at updating our blog, posting relevant info, and making sure you, the fans 😉 see all our race results and new gear. I am making a rare appearance to talk about food! Yummy, Yes Vegan, Food… stick to the ribs stuff.
So, we made Mac and Shews from Post Punk Kitchen the other night (super delicious). When we made the cashew cream part… I fell in love, serious love. Cashew cream is the vegan answer to melty, cheese stuff. I figured out I could use it in many recipes, this is what came first… Fettuccine Alfredo… goes something like this
(1) soak your raw cashews (‘shews for short, or just for a cooler name) 1 & 1/2 cups. Overnight or for at least 3 hours.
(3) then get crafty and spice accordingly to whatever dish you are making :), for this dish it was Fettuccine Alfredo
Last night I….
(1) Prepared the shew cream. Follow above directions
(2) sautéed garlic (2 large cloves from our CSA <3) in extra virgin cold pressed olive oil.
(3) added in the shew cream
(4) added more garlic powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg (a must in Alfredo)
(5) we steamed broccoli and added it to spinach whole wheat pasta. I will say, this was the only not-awesome part. The whole wheat pasta was too heavy, next time it will be plain ol’ fettuccine.
I was thinking… cumin, chili powder, garlic powder etc for enchiladas… really I dream of what I can do & should do next with cashew cream.
Oh and dessert, another new Veganomicon favorite… Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding…. best dessert I have made, well, since a week ago when I made chocolate raspberry cookies (also from Veganomicon) 🙂
So kids, try the cashew cream and experiment, hit us up with any fabulous recipes that come from it 🙂 And if you are tired of all the butter fat in your dairy mac and cheese, try this and say goodbye to saturated fat and hello to cashew fat!!!!