Vegan Chocolate Chips Bites
I was really craving a sweet snack the other day before work, and I decided to whip up a small little recipe to appease myself. In the flash of an eye I had these little delicious Chocolate Chip bites, and the great thing (well, equally great) is that you can add or subtract ingredients depending on your tastes.
- roughly 2/3 cup nuts (I have used cashews and almonds, but you can probably use whatever you want)
- roughly 1/3 cup oats
- agave nectar
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- vegan chocolate chips to taste 🙂
The How To:
- In a food processor or blender, blend the nuts and oats into a fine powder.
- Add the agave nectar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. (Fiddle with the proportion here. Agave nectar and maple syrup make for a sweet ball; usually a tablespoon of the agave and the maple syrup is good, while a teaspoon or so of the vanilla extract works).
- Blend again. The mixture should thicken into a cookie batter consistency. (Don’t worry if it is too dry: just add a little water. If it is too wet you can add flax seed powder or more oats to thicken it up. Just play around to find a good consistency.)
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Put mixture in the fridge to set up. (20-30 minutes is fine.)
- On wax paper, roll mixture into whatever size spheres you’d like; I usually do no bigger than 1″.
- Try to keep in a cool place so that the spheres don’t fall apart. There is no real “binder” so in hotter weather these might begin to disintegrate—all the more reason to share them with some friends.
As I said, this recipe is meant as a rough schematic: it can be changed and adapted depending on what you have in your cupboard or whatever mood you are in. Leave out the chocolate chips and make Thanksgiving ones with pumpkin flavor and pepitas; add candy canes for a minty winter flavor; add cacao powder for a deeply chocolatey treat.
(This is based on the recipe from http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/)
ALL recipes can be located again (once they are not the main post) by clicking on the Recipe Sunday Menu, and then selecting the recipe you want to view!