Kale & Potato Enchiladas with Homemade Green Salsa
For this episode of Recipe Sundays we bring you a Mexican (or, at least, Tex-Mex) dish. Mexican is one of our favorite types of food; plus, Mexican easily accommodates being made vegan. This particular recipe is one of our favorite go-to ones. It is simple, and it allows for any number of substitutions depending on what you have in your cupboard (see below).
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large potatoes
- Bunch of kale
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- cumin (to taste)
- chili powder (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 6 burrito-style tortillas
- Vegan cheese (Daiya)
- Nutritional yeast
- Optional ingredients:
- roasted tofu (dice the tofu and roast ahead of time with oil, salt, and cumin)
- sautéed mushrooms
- summer squash (roasted or sautéed)
For the salsa:
- 6-10 Tomatillos
- 1-2 Green Tomatoes (if you have them)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 jalapeño (seeds removed if you want to avoid the heat)
- handfull of cilantro
- pinch of salt
- cumin (to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
The How To:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375.
- Start by making the salsa: put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend well, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to a deep sauce pan or saute pan. If you want a thicker sauce simmer the salsa for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally; for a thinner sauce heat until the sauce begins to simmer and then remove from heat. Add more seasonings as you see fit.
- Start the filling: Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice the potato and heat in the microwave until cooked (or nearly so), 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and pepper until both begin to soften, 5 minutes or so.
- The potatoes should be done, so add them, the kale, the black beans, and the seasonings to the pan. Cook until the kale starts to wilt down. (If you want you can add some of the green salsa to the mixture.)
- Add some of the green salsa (or oil) to a 13×9 pan.
- Start wrapping the enchiladas: add some vegan cheese; then add the kale/potato mixture; top with nutritional yeast.
- Close the enchilada and place in the pan. You should be able to fit 6 enchiladas if you are using the burrito-style wraps; smaller wraps might allow you to fit more.
- Top with the rest of the green salsa.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or so. (You can adjust the cooking times depending on your oven and how well done you want the enchiladas.)
ALL recipes can be located again (once they are not the main post) by clicking on the Recipe Sunday Menu, and then selecting the recipe you want to view!