Six Week Bran Muffins
My mom’s bran muffin recipe is pretty famous around these parts. It called for the usual buttermilk, eggs, and milk, but I’ll be damned if I wasn’t going to veganize it!! This is a family favorite and is nice because the batter will last for 6 weeks in the fridge, so you can make them as you want them!! If the ingredients start to seem crazy remember this make a TON and can last for 6 weeks.
- 6 cups bran cereal
- 2 cups hot alt. milk (almond, soy or your fav)
- 1 cup cooking oil (can try an oil substitute if you want, we use canola)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs worth of Ener-G egg replacer
- 1 quart buttermilk replacer– (add two tablespoons of vinegar in a bowl. Then add a tiny bit less than 4 cups of alt. milk to the bowl. You want the vinegar and alt. milk combine to equal 4 cups. Yes, the mixture will curdle, and its fine)
- 5 cups of flour (can do a mixture of whole wheat and white if you want, we never use more than 2 cups whole wheat if we go that route)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 5 teaspoons of baking soda
The How To:
- Pour hot milk over the bran in a LARGE bowl, and let stand while you assemble the other ingredients.
- Add sugar, egg replacer, “buttermilk”, and oil to the bow with the bran.
- Give it a good hand mixing!
- Sift in flour, soda, and salt.
- Mix it all up good!!
- Fill a muffin tin lined with paper cups
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Check frequently and take out just as toothpicks come out clear. The more you cook them, the less moist they will be.
From Katie’s family to yours, enjoy!!