Lemon Cashew Cream Sauce
Seemingly there is nothing special about this sauce. But the proof, as they say, is in the tasting of the pudding and this sauce is wonderfully light and delicious, especially mixed with some pasta. (We got it from this Orecchiette dish).
In the original recipe the sauce is made in conjunction with the rest of the pasta dish. Here we have provided just the ingredients and info on how to make the sauce. That way you can make it ahead of time and add it to whatever you want.
- 1/2-3/4 C. unsalted cashews (soaked for at least a couple hours, but preferably overnight)
- 1/3 C. water (+ more as needed)
- 1/2 C. Veg stock
- juice of 1 lemon (you can start with 1/2 of the lemon and then add more to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- nooch (1-2 Tbsp)
The How To
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blended (Vitamix!) and blend until smooth.
- Gradually add more water to the food processor or blender until the cashew cream is thinned out to resemble a “heavy” cream consistency.
- Taste and adjust the flavors.
There you go. As with many sauces this is just a schema that can be added or adjusted to suit your needs and tastes. Our favorite variation is to add a little bit of garlic and nutmeg to produce a wonderful alfredo sauce.
Go ahead and fiddle with it and find out what works (i.e., tastes) best for you!