New Year. New Challenges.
Last year we did a challenge for the entire year: The Living Deliberately Project. It was, for all intents and purposes, a success. We enjoyed setting a goal for ourselves and working all year long towards it. This blog started with a challenge in mind and so we want to continue that into 2014.
This year, however, we are shooting to undertake 5 challenges. All of these will be shorter than an entire year (with the exception of one). So…without further ado…here is what to expect from us in the coming year.
- Original NoMeatBareFeet Recipe Sunday – For the month of March we will feature completely original recipes created by us. There are 5 Sundays in March, so that will mean 5 original recipes: an appetizer, a soup/salad, a side dish, a main course, and a dessert.
- Six-month Re-wilding Challenge – To rewild means to “restore something to it’s natural uncultivated state” so from May to the end of October we will spend at least 30 minutes outside 5 days a week. We figured that shooting for this time frame would allow for most optimal weather conditions (though we do live in Vermont so you never know). This can mean any outdoor activity: taking Arlo to the dog park; walking; running; biking; swimming; camping; picnicking; gardening…in short this challenge beckons us to move out of doors and embrace the natural world around us.
- The Summer of Learning – We want to use this challenge to try and better ourselves—to be together—and grow our brain powers: in short, to learn or do something new. Both of us are steeped in academia, so learning something new is enjoyable for both of us. While we do not know exactly what we will do, we are going to attempt to do this challenge between June and August. Here are some ideas we have been kicking around: urban gardening; canning; paddle boarding; taking a class at the community college; service or volunteer work. When we decide on an activity we will let you know.
- Vegan MOFO! – Ok, so Vegan MOFO is a blogger’s challenge to post once a day for an entire month about anything vegan food related. “The idea is to write as much as you can all month, about vegan food. The blog entries can be about anything food related – your love of tongs, your top secret tofu pressing techniques, the first time your mom cooked vegan for you, vegan options in Timbuktu”. The challenge will take over the course of September 2014 (we think), so during that time we will kick out a plethora of post on all things vegan-food related.
- 52 Week $ Challenge – This challenge has been kicking around for a while, so we thought we would give it a go. Basically you deposit the number of that week of the year into a can (or to your savings account). So $1 for the first week, $13 for the thirteenth week, $52 for the last week of 2014. Individually you should have $1,378; since we are each going do this challenge we will end up with a total of $2,756.
That’s it. We will probably dedicate certain days to different challenges, we just don’t know exactly which days will go with which challenges. The most immediate challenge is (5), which we will start this weekend.
We hope that 2013 was a wonderfully fulfilling year for all of you, and we both wish you all the best as 2014 rolls in.