Cream of Spring Vegetable Soup
For the second installment of the Original Recipe March Challenge we did a delicious soup. Although it isn’t quite spring yet, we thought that making a Cream of Spring Vegetable Soup might beckon spring to show up sooner than later.
When we made the soup we kept the larger chunks of vegetables, but you can always scoop out a few ladle fuels a blend it up to make an even creamier and less chunky soup. The leeks give this soup a distinctive flavor that is complimented by the lemon and the asparagus.
Of course, the soup can be amended and added to depending on what veggies you have. Maybe try some new and different flavors: fiddleheads? artichokes? new potatoes? carrots? There are lots of options, and this soup is the perfect tool to try them out!
- 1 leek (washed, sliced horizontally, white section cut into half moons)
- bunch of asparagus (or use 1/2 a bunch if you want a less ‘chunky’ soup)
- lemon juice (from a whole lemon)
- 1 C. frozen peas (or fresh if you can find them)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 1/2 C. veggie stock (made ‘weaker’ than usual–we use a concentrate and did 1 tsp of concentrate to 3 1/2 C. of water)
- 1/2 C. cashews
- 1/2-3/4 C. water
- 1-1 1/2 tsp salt (+ more to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp. nooch
The How To
- Blend the cashews and 1/2 C. water to make cashew cream (adding more water as needed). Set aside.
- Cut off the green section of the leek and cut it in half horizontally. Wash the dirt out of each half, then dice into thin half moon sections. Heat olive oil over medium-low heat and sauté leek until slightly browning.
- Lower the heat to low. Add the stock and cook to let the liquid acquire the leek flavor.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Break the bottoms off the asparagus and chop into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces. Once the water is boiling add the asparagus and the peas. Blanch for 3 minutes that remove.
- Add a couple pieces of asparagus back to the cashew cream and re-blend. Add to pot with leeks and stock. Raise the heat to medium. Add salt, pepper, nooch and lemon juice. Taste…adjust seasoning.
- Add blanched asparagus and peas to the pot.
- Serve once heated through.