Sony wants to bring Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield back for ‘Spider-Man 4’

215

Spider-Man: No Way Home is objectively the most profitable movie with a multiversal theme attached to it.

Due credit for the success goes to the filmmakers of Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield’s Spider-Man films, and the fans who created the release hype.

It was a one-of-a-kind experience which managed to gross $1.9B at the global box office in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. But looks like Sony might want to try the trick again, all too soon.

Industry scooper Daniel RPK (via ScreenTime) reported on Thursday that Sony Pictures wants Spider-Man 4 to be another multiversal adventure.

He added that the film still had no director attached to it. Earlier reports indicate Jon Watts is still involved in the project to some extent.

Kevin Feige and Tom Holland want the film to be more “grounded”, while Sony Pictures wants Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield back.

This isn’t the first instance of Sony and Marvel Studios being at a crossroads with Spider-Man.

It is a known fact that the writers of Spider-Man: No Way Home initially intended Kraven the Hunter to be the main villain of the movie, but they were told the character “was unavailable until Sony established him in a solo movie.”

Sony also wanted Tom Holland to cameo as the webhead in Venom (2018) but plans for that were scrapped after conflicts with Marvel Studios.

Tobey Maguire is enthusiastic about a possible return as Spider-Man, as he said in an interview:

I love these films and I love all of the different series. If these guys called me and said, “Would you show up tonight to hang out and goof around?” or “Would you show up to do this movie or read a scene or do a Spider-Man thing?”, it would be a “yes!” Because why wouldn’t I want to do that?
If the production companies do end up giving Tobey Maguire a call, they won’t be disappointed!

X/Twitter scooper @CanWeGetToast previously reported that Kevin Feige had reached out to Andrew Garfield before the SAG-AFTRA strikes, regarding a potential role in Avengers: Secret Wars.

Tom Holland is currently taking a hiatus from big-budget blockbusters. During a recent interview, the actor said he feels that he’s become too used to the “safety blanket of Spider-Man.”

“I got so used to the Marvel machine and the safety blanket of Spider-Man, feeling like I was protected. So, doing something like this was incredibly scary, but because it was so scary, it was so fulfilling and so rewarding.”

He went on to say, “Going forward, if there’s something that I feel like I can’t do, I want to do that one. Playing a sort of stupid English doofus is not what I want to do because that’s my life, right?”

What are your thoughts on this rumour? Would you rather want Spider-Man 4 to be a street-level civil war?

Let us know on our socials on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and all others.

Spider-Man 4 has no release date attached to it yet. Avengers: Secret Wars is expected to release on May 7, 2027.

Like this post? Please share to your friends: